RCEMLearning has grown significantly in recent years, and it is now embedded into the educational practice of the RCEM and wider EM community. RCEMLearning innovatively combines a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) with Free Open Access Medical (FOAMed) resources, and it makes an invaluable contribution to how RCEM Fellows and Members prepare for exams, deliver teaching, refine critical appraisal skills, stay aligned with changes in evidence-based medicine, and maintain their ePortfolio and CPD activities.
As a result of RCEMLearnings continued growth, the RCEM is looking to appoint a Digital Education Fellow (DEF) to support the platforms pioneering work.
- Successful applicants will work within their hospitals but have protected time for RCEMLearning activities on an 80:20 split. The applicant must have confirmation from their Trust that 20% of their time can be dedicated to RCEMLearning/DEF projects.
- RCEM will provide funding for the successful applicant to undertake a postgraduate qualification (PgDIP, PgCERT etc.) up to a maximum of 4.000 per year. Successful candidates will be expected to devote a significant proportion of their course to a research-based or practical output (e.g. designing and implementing a flipped classroom model, a dissertation predicated on the sites educational ethos etc.) based on RCEMLearning.
The fellows will support some or all of the following activities:
- Deliver new content across the site, or for specific sections (FOAMed, assessed Exams and CPD content etc.) to support the RCEMs Educational Strategic Objectives
- Strategically manage and be directly involved in the editorial review of existing content
- Ensure RCEMLearning content represents the heterogenous educational and professional development requirements of the Colleges diverse membership
- Help conceptualise and implement RCEMLearnings pedagogies
- Sit on RCEMLearnings Editorial Executive
- Conduct research into digital learnings impact on education within the specialty, and its efficacy for individual learners
- Help embed RCEMLearning into conventional teaching practices of departments
- Embed the new RCEM curriculum into the sites educational and conceptual ethos
The DEF role will start in August 2024 and conclude in July 2025.
Sponsored DEF candidates will spend 80% of time working in the ED, with the remaining 20% representing protected time for RCEMLearning-related work. LTFT candidates are welcome to apply. The DEF will be a fixed-term contract for 12 months, with a review at 6 months.
Much of the work will be conducted locally but candidates may be required to travel to RCEM offices, RCEM events and external meetings on occasion and with prior agreement. RCEMLearning will cover expenses where appropriate when attendance is required at external meetings and events (if not virtual). Successful applicants will work closely within RCEMLearning and RCEM governance structures to ensure objectives are fulfilled.
|Interview of candidates
|Successful candidate appointed
|August 2024 July 2025
|Candidate in post
Applicants need to apply to RCEMLearning directly via email and must discuss the application with their Trust to ensure that they have permission and support to take on the role.
Applicants will need to submit a 500-word (maximum) letter/email of interest explaining their suitability and ideas for the role.
The following criteria needs to be fulfilled and evidenced in order for applicants to be shortlisted:
The College requires applicants to adhere to the following criteria:
|On the GMC register, with a licence to practise and no limitations on practise
|A member in good standing with the RCEM
|ST4 or equivalent
|Ability to demonstrate evidence of excellent educational activity
|Evidence of an educational portfolio commensurate with grade/role
|Record of presenting at conferences, engagement with research activities, publication record (in traditional or digital environments) commensurate with grade/role
|Demonstrable contribution to/interest in digital medical education via creation of own content, peer review activities, FOAMed production etc.
|Post-graduate or equivalent qualification in medical or digital education
Please contact the RCEMLearning Team on RCEMLearning@rcem.ac.uk with any questions about the role or recruitment process.
Applications should be emailed by 30th November 2023.