Bee careful kids, it’s Paediatric Anaphylaxis!

Author: Fiona Mendes / Editor: Martin Dore / Reviewer: Fiona Mendes / Codes:  / Published: 03/12/2022

During the summer holidays, a 4-year-old boy (weighing 15kg) is playing in the park with his friends, whist his family are nearby having a picnic.

He is allergic to peanuts, has a background of eczema and suffered a viral induced wheeze during a cold last year. His parents carry his prescribed auto-injector containing intramuscular adrenaline with them but have never had to use it. Aside from topical emollients for his eczema he does not take any other medications.

After playing near a beehive, he is stung by a bee and rapidly develops anaphylaxis.

As a passer-by you are called to help. An ambulance was called and the paramedics arrive.

Leave a Reply