Authors: Gillian Kelly / Editor: Jason M Kendall / Reviewer: Michael Perry, Josh Davison / Code: A2, PP2, R1, R2 / Published: 19/07/2021
This session is about the evaluation of arterial blood gases in the emergency department.
After completing this session you will be able to:
- Explain acid-base balance and the principles of physiological buffering
- Describe the different types of acid-base derangement and their effects on the oxyhaemoglobin dissociation curve
- List the causes of acid-base derangement including problems which affect the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood
- Describe the compensatory mechanisms of acid-base derangement
- Interpret an arterial blood gas assay
- O’Driscoll BR, Howard LS, Davison AG; British Thoracic Society. BTS guideline for emergency oxygen use in adult patients. Thorax. 2008 Oct;63 Suppl 6:vi1-68.
- Berne RM, Levy MN. Principles of Physiology 2nd ed., Mosby, St. Louis, 1996.
- Pinnock C, Lin T, Smith T. (eds) Fundamentals of Anaesthesia, 2nd Edn. Greenwich Medical Media Ltd., London, 1999.
- Christie P Thomas, Metabolic Acidosis. E-medicine Medscape. Updated: Dec 08, 2020.
- Christie P Thomas, Metabolic Alkalosis. E-medicine Medscape. Updated: Dec 10, 2020.
- Nazir A Lone, Respiratory Acidosis. E-medicine Medscape. Updated: Oct 14, 2020.
- Ranjodh Singh Gill, Respiratory Alkalosis. E-medicine Medscape. Updated: Nov 06, 2019.
- Walmsley RN, White GH. Mixed Acid-Base Disorders. Clinical Chemistry 1985; 31/2, 321-325.
- Rivers E, Nguyen B, Havstad S, et al. Early Goal-Directed Therapy Collaborative Group. Early goal-directed therapy in the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock. N Engl J Med. 2001 Nov 8;345(19):1368-77.
- Toxbase Poisons Information. Carbon monoxide.
- Light A, Grass C, Pursley D et al. Carboxyhemoglobin Levels in Smokers vs. Non-Smokers in a Smoking Environment Resp Care Journal, October 2007 Open forum abstracts.
- Lindsay M. Biga, Sierra Dawson, Amy Harwell, et al. The Respiratory System – 22.5 Transport of Gases, In: Anatomy & Physiology. Oregon State University.